Our New Voices category is open year round to any new or emerging author who has not published a novel-length work of fiction or narrative nonfiction. Authors with published short story collections are free to submit. We accept simultaneous and multiple submissions but ask that you inform us immediately if your story is accepted elsewhere.
The Masters Review pays a flat rate of $100 for flash-length stories (1,000 words or fewer) and $200 for longer stories (up to 7,000 words). We are thrilled to be paying for published pieces but will be highly selective in our choices for publication.
- New Voices submissions are open to new and emerging writers only (no novel-length published work forthcoming at the time of submission).
- We accept fiction and narrative non-fiction. We do accept a variety of genres and styles, our only requirement is that you show excellence in your craft. We want to be wowed. Bend genres, experiment with structure, and write your heart out. But please, send us polished work. Our aim is to showcase writers who we believe will continue to produce great work. Send us only your best.
- We accept simultaneous submissions but please notify us if your work is picked up elsewhere.
- All submissions must be under 7,000 words.
- If you're submitting flash, feel free to include up to 3 stories in a single document.
- We do accept multiple submissions.
- We cannot consider work that has been previously published in any form.
- Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history and a short bio.
- Please do not include identifying information on the submission itself.
- We aim to respond to all submissions within 12 weeks. Please do not e-mail before 12 weeks have passed.
- For submissions that request an editorial letter, a significant portion of the editorial letter fees go to our feedback editor, according to the rates established by the EFA
We don’t have any preferences topically or in terms of style. We’re simply looking for the best. We don’t define, nor are we interested in, stories identified by their genre. We do, however, consider ourselves a publication that focuses on literary fiction. Dazzle us, take chances, and be bold. Thanks for supporting our publication, and thank you for your work.