Winter is coming.
"Thanks for providing a place for emerging talents to thrive!" -- Amy Williams, The Williams AgencyBecause of the popularity of our Short Story Award this summer and because the agencies we work with were eager to see more, we're opening up submissions this winter. The winning story will be awarded $2000 and publication online. Second and third place stories will be awarded publication and $200 and $100 respectively. All winners and any notable Honorable Mentions will receive agency review by the following: Amy Williams of The Williams Agency, Victoria Marini by Irene Goodman and Laura Biagi from Jean V. Naggar Literary Agency, Inc. in New York. We want you to succeed, and we want your writing to be read. It's been our mission to support emerging writers since day one.
- Submissions are open from Nov 15 - Jan 15
- 7000 word limit
- Fiction only
- No writing preferences. Just your best work
- Emerging Writers Only (have not published a novel at the time of submission. You may have a book under contract. Short story collections are not considered novels and therefore you qualify. Writers who have self-published are welcome to submit.)
- $20 to enter
- Previously unpublished work only
- Multiple and simultaneous submissions are allowed, but please notify us if your story is accepted elsewhere
- International submissions allowed
- Please no identifying information
Thanks for supporting our cause, and thank you for your work.
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." -- Haruki Murakami
Submissions for our New Voices category are open year round. New Voices is open to any new and emerging author who has not published a work of fiction or narrative nonfiction of novel length. You must not have a novel forthcoming at the time of submission. Published short-story collections do not count as a novel-length work and those authors are free to submit. New Voices are published online only and will feature a number of stories from new authors each month.
We are pleased to announce we now offer payment to New Voices
authors. $0.10/word up to $200. We are thrilled to be paying for
published pieces but will be highly selective in our choices for
- New Voices submissions are open to new and emerging writers only (no novel-length published work forthcoming at the time of submission).
- We accept fiction and narrative non-fiction. We do accept a variety of genres and styles, our only requirement is that you show excellence in your craft. We want to be wowed. Bend genres, experiment with structure, and write your heart out. But please, send us polished work. Our aim is to showcase writers who we believe will continue to produce great work. Send us only your best.
- We accept simultaneous submissions but please notify us if your work is picked up elsewhere.
- All submissions must be less than 5,000 words.
- We do accept multiple submissions.
- Please include a cover letter with your publication history