We. Love. Fall.
Welcome! The winning story of our Fall Fiction Contest will be paid $2000, awarded publication online in The Masters Review, and will receive a note from our judge on why the story was selected. Second and third place stories will be awarded The shortlist of 15 stories will be selected by The Masters Review editors and the winners will be selected from that pool. A previous Fall Fiction Contest winner, Ruth Joffre, published her story collection with Grove Atlantic. Her winning story, "Night Beast," is the title story in her debut collection. Awesome.
Guest judged by Anita Felicelli!
- Submissions are open from Oct 1 - Nov 30
- 6000 word limit
- Fiction only
- Emerging Writers only. (We are interested in offering a larger platform to new writers. Self-published writers and writers with story collections and novels with a small circulation are welcome to submit. Writers with novels published with a circulation of fewer than 5000 copies can also submit.)
- $20 submission fee
- International submissions allowed
- Previously unpublished work only
- Translations allowed, providing the story has not been published in another language
- Multiple and simultaneous submissions are allowed, but please notify us if your story is accepted elsewhere
- Winner receives $2000 and publication
- 2nd and 3rd place stories receive $300 and $200 respectively, in addition to publication
We don’t have any preferences topically or in terms of style. We’re simply looking for the best. We don’t define, nor are we interested in, stories identified by their genre. We do, however, consider ourselves a publication that focuses on literary fiction. Dazzle us, take chances, and be bold. Thanks for supporting our publication, and thank you for your work.
Anita Felicelli is the author of the novel CHIMERICA and the short story collection LOVE SONGS FOR A LOST CONTINENT, which won the 2016 Mary Roberts Rinehart Award. Her essays, reviews, and criticism have appeared in the SF Chronicle, the Los Angeles Review of Books, New York Times (Modern Love), Slate, Salon, Catapult, Electric Literature, and elsewhere. She graduated from UC Berkeley and UC Berkeley School of Law. She's a member of the National Book Critics Circle and a VONA alum. She's received a Puffin Foundation grant, Greater Bay Area Journalism awards, and Pushcart nominations, and her fiction and poems have been anthologized. CHIMERICA appeared on The Millions Most Anticipated List for 2019. Born in South India, she lives in the Bay Area with her family.
Submissions for our New Voices category are open year round. New Voices is open to any new and emerging author who has not published a work of fiction or narrative nonfiction of novel length. You must not have a novel forthcoming at the time of submission. Published short-story collections do not count as a novel-length work and those authors are free to submit. New Voices are published online only and will feature a number of stories from new authors each month.
We are pleased to announce we now offer payment to New Voices authors. $0.10/word up to $200. We are thrilled to be paying for published pieces but will be highly selective in our choices for publication.
- New Voices submissions are open to new and emerging writers only (no novel-length published work forthcoming at the time of submission).
- We accept fiction and narrative non-fiction. We do accept a variety of genres and styles, our only requirement is that you show excellence in your craft. We want to be wowed. Bend genres, experiment with structure, and write your heart out. But please, send us polished work. Our aim is to showcase writers who we believe will continue to produce great work. Send us only your best.
- We accept simultaneous submissions but please notify us if your work is picked up elsewhere.
- All submissions must be less than 7,000 words.
- We do accept multiple submissions.
- Please include a cover letter with your publication history
- NOTE: If you'd like to purchase a copy of our anthology without submitting, please select the correct add-on option at the end of the form and upload a blank document and title your submission ANTHOLOGY PURCHASE.