Summer is for short stories.
"Thanks for providing a place for emerging talents to thrive!" -- Amy Williams, The Williams Agency
Welcome to our Summer Short Story Award, a prize that recognizes the best fiction from today's emerging writers. The winning story will be awarded $3000 and publication online. Second and third place stories will be awarded publication and $300 and $200 respectively. All winning stories and any notable Honorable Mentions will receive agency review by the following: Nat Sobel from Sobel Weber, Victoria Cappello from The Bent Agency, Andrea Morrison from Writers House, Sarah Fuentes from Fletcher & Company, and Samantha Fingerhut from Compass Talent . We want you to succeed, and we want your writing to be read. It's been our mission to support emerging writers since day one.
Guest judged by TOPE FOLARIN!
- Winner receives $3000, publication, and agency review
- Second and third place prizes ($300 / $200, publication, and agency review)
- Stories under 6000 words
- Previously unpublished stories only
- Translations allowed, providing the story has not been published in another language
- Simultaneous and multiple submissions allowed
- Emerging writers only (We are interested in offering a larger platform to new writers. Self-published writers and writers with story collections and novels with a small circulation are welcome to submit. Writers with novels published with a circulation of fewer than 5000 copies can also submit.)
- International submissions allowed
- $20 entry fee
- Deadline: August 31, 2019
- Please no identifying information on your story
- All stories are considered for publication
- If requesting an editorial letter, please indicate on your cover letter if the submissions is fiction or creative nonfiction
- To view a list of our most commonly asked questions regarding submitting to The Masters Review, please see our FAQ page.
We don’t have any preferences topically or in terms of style. We’re simply looking for the best. We don’t define, nor are we interested in, stories identified by their genre. We do, however, consider ourselves a publication that focuses on literary fiction. Dazzle us, take chances, and be bold. Thanks for supporting our publication, and thank you for your work.
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." -- Haruki Murakami
Support new authors
Submissions for our New Voices category are open year round. New Voices is open to any new and emerging author who has not published a work of fiction or narrative nonfiction of novel length. You must not have a novel forthcoming at the time of submission. Published short-story collections do not count as a novel-length work and those authors are free to submit. New Voices are published online only and will feature a number of stories from new authors each month.
We are pleased to announce we now offer payment to New Voices authors. $0.10/word up to $200. We are thrilled to be paying for published pieces but will be highly selective in our choices for publication.
- New Voices submissions are open to new and emerging writers only (no novel-length published work forthcoming at the time of submission).
- We accept fiction and narrative non-fiction. We do accept a variety of genres and styles, our only requirement is that you show excellence in your craft. We want to be wowed. Bend genres, experiment with structure, and write your heart out. But please, send us polished work. Our aim is to showcase writers who we believe will continue to produce great work. Send us only your best.
- We accept simultaneous submissions but please notify us if your work is picked up elsewhere.
- All submissions must be less than 7,000 words.
- We do accept multiple submissions.
- Please include a cover letter with your publication history
- NOTE: If you'd like to purchase a copy of our anthology without submitting, please select the correct add-on option at the end of the form and upload a blank document and title your submission ANTHOLOGY PURCHASE.