Our love of flash fiction runs deep. And throughout our six years of reading work by emerging writers we’ve seen some incredible pieces of small and powerful fiction, but we’ve never hosted a call for flash. So here it is: a home for your very best small fiction. Send us big worlds in tiny packages, large ideas with a low word count. Dazzle us with your best fiction under 1000 words. $2000, publication on the Masters Review site, and recognition in Poets & Writers Magazine.
- Winner receives $2000, publication on the Masters Review site, and recognition in Poets & Writers Magazine
- Second and third place prizes ($200/$100, publication, and recognition in P&W)
- Stories under 1000 words
- Previously unpublished stories only
- Simultaneous and multiple submissions allowed
- Emerging writers only (We are interested in offering a larger platform to new writers. Self-published writers and writers with story collections and novels with a small circulation are welcome to submit.)
- International submissions allowed
- $20 entry fee allows up to two stories
- Deadline: May 31, 2017
- Please no identifying information on your story
- All stories are considered for publication
- Dazzle us
Note: Based on the quality of feedback given, and the time it takes to read stories, review notes, and craft a letter to submitters, our editors have raised the price of this option. This is one of our most popular submissions categories. This change will help us keep up with submissions in a timely manner, and keep the quality of our feedback high. We have tiered the cost based on length of submission. Please select the correct price category.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
Please be sure to follow our New Voices guidelines when submitting:
- 5000 words or less
- previously unpublished work only
- fiction or narrative nonfiction
- simultaneous submissions are allowed
- open to only those writers who have not published a novel-length work with a major press
NOTE: If you are submitting a series of Flash Fiction stories for consideration, you may only submit up to three at a time.
Questions, concerns? Just ask: email@example.com
Submissions for our New Voices category are open year round. New Voices is open to any new and emerging author who has not published a work of fiction or narrative nonfiction of novel length. You must not have a novel forthcoming at the time of submission. Published short-story collections do not count as a novel-length work and those authors are free to submit. New Voices are published online only and will feature a number of stories from new authors each month.
We are pleased to announce we now offer payment to New Voices
authors. $0.10/word up to $200. We are thrilled to be paying for
published pieces but will be highly selective in our choices for
- New Voices submissions are open to new and emerging writers only (no novel-length published work forthcoming at the time of submission).
- We accept fiction and narrative non-fiction. We do accept a variety of genres and styles, our only requirement is that you show excellence in your craft. We want to be wowed. Bend genres, experiment with structure, and write your heart out. But please, send us polished work. Our aim is to showcase writers who we believe will continue to produce great work. Send us only your best.
- We accept simultaneous submissions but please notify us if your work is picked up elsewhere.
- All submissions must be less than 5,000 words.
- We do accept multiple submissions.
- Please include a cover letter with your publication history