Send us your stories under 1000 words! We love a good piece of flash fiction. The winner will receive $3000, and publication in The Masters Review! Our love of flash fiction runs deep. And throughout our years of reading work by emerging writers we’ve seen some incredible pieces of small and powerful fiction. We are proud to now offer a contest dedicated solely to flash. So here it is: a home for your very best small fiction. Send us big worlds in tiny packages, large ideas with a low word count. Dazzle us with your best fiction under 1000 words.
- Winner receives $3000 and publication
- Second and third place prizes are $300 and $200 respectively
- Stories under 1000 words
- Previously unpublished stories only
- Simultaneous and multiple submissions allowed
- Emerging writers only (We are interested in offering a larger platform to new writers. Self-published writers and writers with story collections and novels with a small circulation are welcome to submit.)
- International submissions allowed
- $20 entry fee allows up to two stories - if submitting two stories, please put them both in a SINGLE document.
- Deadline: May 31, 2020
- Please no identifying information on your story
- All stories are considered for publication
- Dazzle us
- To view a list of our most commonly asked questions regarding submitting to The Masters Review, please see our FAQ page.
We don’t have any preferences topically or in terms of style. We’re simply looking for the best. We don’t define, nor are we interested in, stories identified by their genre. We do, however, consider ourselves a publication that focuses on literary fiction. Dazzle us, take chances, and be bold.
Thanks for supporting our publication, and thank you for your work.
The Masters Review is looking to add some talented new readers to our team this summer. If you love literary fiction and nonfiction, and three to four hours of reading submissions a week sounds like fun, we encourage you to apply. Our readers work remotely and can set their own schedules.
This position begins in June and involves a commitment through January. PLEASE NOTE: readerships are unpaid and on a strictly volunteer basis. If interested, please send a cover letter, resume, and at least one writing sample by Friday June 5. We look forward to hearing from you!
Additional Note: Although we prefer a creative writing sample, you may alternately submit a book review or critical essay in its place. Published or unpublished — send us your best, representative work!
Submissions for our New Voices category are open year round. New Voices is open to any new and emerging author who has not published a work of fiction or narrative nonfiction of novel length. You must not have a novel forthcoming at the time of submission. Published short-story collections do not count as a novel-length work and those authors are free to submit. New Voices are published online only and will feature a number of stories from new authors each month.
We are pleased to announce we now offer payment to New Voices authors. $0.10/word up to $200. We are thrilled to be paying for published pieces but will be highly selective in our choices for publication.
- New Voices submissions are open to new and emerging writers only (no novel-length published work forthcoming at the time of submission).
- We accept fiction and narrative non-fiction. We do accept a variety of genres and styles, our only requirement is that you show excellence in your craft. We want to be wowed. Bend genres, experiment with structure, and write your heart out. But please, send us polished work. Our aim is to showcase writers who we believe will continue to produce great work. Send us only your best.
- We accept simultaneous submissions but please notify us if your work is picked up elsewhere.
- All submissions must be less than 7,000 words.
- We do accept multiple submissions.
- Please include a cover letter with your publication history
- NOTE: If you'd like to purchase a copy of our anthology without submitting, please select the correct add-on option at the end of the form and upload a blank document and title your submission ANTHOLOGY PURCHASE.