The Masters Review Anthology Prize. Showcasing today's best emerging writers. $5000 awarded.
Submissions are open from February 1, 2019 to March 31. This year stories will be selected by Kate Bernheimer who will choose ten winners from a shortlist of thirty. This category is open to ALL EMERGING WRITERS. Anyone who has not yet published a novel at the time of submission or whose work has had a circulation below 5000 copies.
We are looking for today's top emerging writers. Send us your best!
- Previously unpublished works of fiction and narrative nonfiction only
- Up to 7000 words
- We accept simultaneous submissions as long as work is withdrawn if it is accepted elsewhere
- Multiple submissions are allowed
- Writers must not have published a novel-length work at the time of submission (authors of short story collections and self-published titles can submit as can authors with work with a low distribution, about 5000 copies)
- Standard formatting please (double-spaced, 12 pt font, pages numbered)
- $20 reading fee per submission
- Submissions are not limited to writers in the US. All English-language submissions are welcome
- Writers who have earned an Anthology Prize before and whose work appears in our printed book cannot submit to this category but are welcome to send us work in other open categories.
TEN PUBLISHED AUTHORS WILL RECEIVE:
- $500 award
- Publication in our nationally distributed journal
- Exposure to over 50 literary agencies
- Contributor’s copy
- All writers are part of an exclusive mailing. We send our anthology to editors, writers, and literary institutions across the country.
Deadline for entry is March 31, 2019. We will try to announce the shortlist as soon as possible. In past years, this has been announced within one month of the deadline. All writers will be notified when results are in. The book is published in the fall.
Praise for The Masters Review
Winner! INDIEFAB Silver Medal for Best Short Story Collection - 2015
"I read your issues like clockwork! I’m a literary agent, and there’s such a great cast of emerging writers on this site that I’m always checking in to see if there’s anyone who might be looking for representation for longer form work.” – Victoria Marini, GELFMAN SCHNEIDER / ICM PARTNERS