Summer is for short stories.
"Thanks for providing a place for emerging talents to thrive!" -- Amy Williams, The Williams Agency
Welcome to our Summer Short Story Award, a prize that recognizes the best fiction from today's emerging writers. The winning story will be awarded $3000 and publication online. Second and third place stories will be awarded publication and $300 and $200 respectively. All winning stories and any notable Honorable Mentions will receive agency review by the following: Nat Sobel from Sobel Weber, Victoria Cappello from The Bent Agency, Andrea Morrison from Writers House, Sarah Fuentes from Fletcher & Company, and Samantha Fingerhut from Compass Talent . We want you to succeed, and we want your writing to be read. It's been our mission to support emerging writers since day one.
Guest judged by TOPE FOLARIN!
- Winner receives $3000, publication, and agency review
- Second and third place prizes ($300 / $200, publication, and agency review)
- Stories under 6000 words
- Previously unpublished stories only
- Translations allowed, providing the story has not been published in another language
- Simultaneous and multiple submissions allowed
- Emerging writers only (We are interested in offering a larger platform to new writers. Self-published writers and writers with story collections and novels with a small circulation are welcome to submit. Writers with novels published with a circulation of fewer than 5000 copies can also submit.)
- International submissions allowed
- $20 entry fee
- Deadline: August 31, 2019
- Please no identifying information on your story
- All stories are considered for publication
- If requesting an editorial letter, please indicate on your cover letter if the submissions is fiction or creative nonfiction
- To view a list of our most commonly asked questions regarding submitting to The Masters Review, please see our FAQ page.
We don’t have any preferences topically or in terms of style. We’re simply looking for the best. We don’t define, nor are we interested in, stories identified by their genre. We do, however, consider ourselves a publication that focuses on literary fiction. Dazzle us, take chances, and be bold. Thanks for supporting our publication, and thank you for your work.
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." -- Haruki Murakami
Support new authors