The Masters Review is committed to providing a platform to diverse, emerging voices. We are now offering an expedited reading category explicitly for marginalized or underrepresented writers. Submissions to this category will receive a response in four weeks or fewer. Note: While expedited responses are a priority in this category, our foremost priority is quality feedback on all submissions, and as such, some of our responses are delayed. If you have not heard from us in six weeks, please do not hesitate to get in touch at contact [at] mastersreview.com.
All submissions are considered for publication on our website under New Voices, and our regular New Voices guidelines apply (see below). The Masters Review pays a flat rate of $100 flash-length submissions (1,000 words or fewer) and $200 for longer works (up to 7,000 words).
Please see the guidelines below, or contact us at contact [at] mastersreview.com with any questions. This form is for marginalized or underrepresented writers only. If you'd like to submit work with an expedited response time and do not identify as BIPOC or as a writer from another demographic who has been historically mis- or underrepresented in publishing, you may do so here with a $9.99 fee.
Black Lives Matter. Black Voices Matter.
Cole, Melissa, Brandon and the entire Masters Review team.
- This for is for BIPOC and historically marginalized writers only.
- New Voices submissions are open to new and emerging writers only (no novel-length published work forthcoming at the time of submission).
- We accept fiction and narrative non-fiction. We do accept a variety of genres and styles, our only requirement is that you show excellence in your craft. We want to be wowed. Bend genres, experiment with structure, and write your heart out. But please, send us polished work. Our aim is to showcase writers who we believe will continue to produce great work. Send us only your best.
- We accept simultaneous submissions but please notify us if your work is picked up elsewhere.
- All submissions must be less than 7,000 words.
- If you're submitting flash, feel free to include up to 3 stories in a single document.
- Please, only one active submission at a time. Please wait until you receive a response before submitting new work.
- Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history and a short bio.
- Please do not include identifying information on the submission itself.
- Please do not submit work to this category if you do not identify as BIPOC or as a writer from another demographic who has been historically mis- or underrepresented in publishing.
- For submissions that request an editorial letter, a significant portion of the editorial letter fees go to our feedback editor, according to the rates established by the EFA.
We don’t have any preferences topically or in terms of style. We’re simply looking for the best. We don’t define, nor are we interested in, stories identified by their genre. We do, however, consider ourselves a publication that focuses on literary fiction. Dazzle us, take chances, and be bold. Thanks for supporting our publication, and thank you for your work.