Our love of flash fiction runs deep. We are proud to offer a contest dedicated solely to flash. The winning writer will be awarded $3000 and publication in The Masters Review. Second and third place will be awarded $300 and $200, respectively, as well as publication in The Masters Review. So here it is: a home for your very best small fiction. d us big worlds in tiny packages, large ideas with a low word count. Dazzle us with your best fiction under 1000 words.
- Winner receives $3000 and publication
- Second and third place prizes are $300 and $200 respectively, along with publication
- Stories under 1000 words
- $20 entry fee allows up to two stories (each under 1000 words) – if submitting two stories, please put them both in a SINGLE document
- Previously unpublished stories only
- Simultaneous and multiple submissions allowed
- Emerging writers only (We are interested in offering a larger platform to new writers. Self-published writers and writers with story collections and novels with a small circulation are welcome to submit new, previously unpublished work.)
- International English submissions allowed
- Deadline: May 31st, 2022
- Please no identifying information on your story
- All stories are considered for publication
- Dazzle us
- To view a list of our most commonly asked questions regarding submitting to The Masters Review, please see our FAQ page
- For submissions which request an editorial letter: a significant portion of which goes to our feedback editor, according to the rates established by the EFA.
Kim Chinquee grew up on a dairy farm in Wisconsin, served in the medical field in the Air Force, and is often referred to as the "queen" of flash fiction. She's published hundreds of pieces of fiction and nonfiction in journals and magazines including The Nation, Ploughshares, NOON, Storyquarterly, Denver Quarterly, Fiction, Story, Notre Dame Review, Conjunctions, and others. Her seventh collection, Wetsuit, was published in 2021 with Ravenna Press, and her debut novel, Pipette, is due out July 2022, also with Ravenna Press. She is the recipient of two Pushcart Prizes and a Henfield Prize, Senior Editor of New World Writing, and co-director of SUNY—Buffalo State's Writing Major.
Thanks for supporting our publication, and thank you for your work.